Potsdam du bist dufte!

The slavic tribe of Hevelli built a castle in the seventh century at the strategical important strait of the Havel river. "Podstupim" is called in Sorbian outpost. In a deed of gift from the emperor to the diocese Quedlinburg "Potstupimi" was first officially mentioned in 993. In the twelfth century the Ascanians became the rulers and founded the Mark Brandenburg. They pushed back the Slavs. After the extinction of the Askanier in the region, the Hohenzollern took over regency at the beginning of the fifteenth century and ruled in the region about 500 years.

In the mid-seventeenth century Potsdam was chosen by the "Great Elector" as his second residence city, and was transformed in the aftermath by famous architects and gardeners to a cultural landscape: The famous Sanssouci Palace and its royal garden, the Dutch Quarter, the New Garden and much more was built. After World War II, world history was written in Potsdam: The leaders of the Soviet Union, United States and Great Britain met at the Cecilienhof Palace to decide on a European post-war order.

With the German reunification Potsdam became the capital of the re-established german state of Brandenburg. Large parts of the cultural landscape of Potsdam were declared as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Visit Potsdam with the Magic Bus. Napoleon was already there!

Sanssouci Palace

Sanssouci Palace is the most famous castle in Potsdam.
By his own sketches the prussian king "Frederick the Great"
built a small summer palace in the rococo style in
1745-1747.

New Palace

The New Palace is a castle on the west side of the Sanssouci
Park in Potsdam. It was built in 1763 after the end of the
Seven-Years-War by "Frederick the Great" and completed
in 1769. It is considered to be the final significant palace
complex of the baroque era in Prussia.

Glienicke Bridge

The Glienicke Bridge connects Berlin with Potsdam
across the Havel river. During the cold war, the bridge
became world famous because of the exchange of Soviet
and American agents.

Nikolai Church

The Nikolaikirche is a standing conservation
building in the classicist style. The building was
built in the mid-nineteenth century. Its 77 meters
high dome is jutting up over the rooftops of the city.

Cecilienhof Palace

Cecilienhof Palace, a building complex
in the english country style. It is the last
Hohenzollern palace and became
world-famous as the place of the
Potsdam Conference in summer 1945.

 

City Palace Potsdam

Outside baroque inside parliament - the
building of the Brandenburg state parliament.
The new parliament of Brandenburg with the
baroque facade of the former City Palace is located
at the Old-Market and closed an urban gap.

Filmmuseum Potsdam

The Filmmuseum Potsdam was established in 1981 as
"Film Museum of the GDR", in order to be the oldest film
museum in Germany with its own collection and
exhibitions. In 1990 it received its present name.
It is housed in the former stables of the Palace of Potsdam.

 

Chinese Teahouse

In order to decorate his kitchen garden " Frederick the Great"
gave order to build a pavilion. It was erected between 1755
and 1764 after sketches of the King, and combines elements
of the rococo with east asian designs.

Of course there is much more to see ...

Have I aroused your interest?

FACEBOOK

YELP

TRIPADVISOR

E-MAIL

close menu